Independence Day takes on new meaning when talking to Washington, DC cat sitters and pet parents. The area is known for dazzling celebrations, but one group who is not very happy with all the hoopla is your kitty.
More pets get lost on July 4th than any other day of the year!
Take a few minutes to review suggestions to make your kitty’s day safe and pleasant…
BEFORE THE 4th…
- Develop an action plan for the 4th
- Create signage
– “Kitties Only. Please Do Not Enter” to place on an escape proof room
– “ Please Do Not Let Cat Out” to place on doors if you are having guests.
- Take a current picture of Fluffy.
- Locate your kitty’s collar and visible id tag. If she isn’t a Houdini, place it on her now.
- Music is great to mask the sounds, so you may want to have some gentle music playing. Get the radio set-up before the 4th.
IT’S THE 4th – HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA
- Place Miss Houdini’s collar on and verify it is staying on periodically during the day.
- Post your printed warning signs
- Work-in a couple of good play sessions before guests arrive or you leave.
- Turn on the music if it is part of your plan.
- Do a walkabout – check to make sure charcoal, fireworks, sparklers and glow sticks are tucked away from a nosey kitty.
- Place her in her safe place for the festivities. Don’t forget the litter box, food, and toys.